Mobilize is the volunteer recruitment and events management platform that connects mission-driven organizations and their supporters.
The Mobilize platform has helped 3,000 advocacy organizations, nonprofits, unions, and political campaigns like Planned Parenthood Action Fund, the Human Rights Campaign, AARP, and the Biden/Harris campaign sign up more than 4 million supporters for over 15 million actions.
Mobilize was acquired in December 2020 by EveryAction - the leading technology platform for mission-driven organizations. This partnership is turbocharging our growth and creating many new opportunities to have mass scale impact.
As a company we are committed to building a workplace that reflects the diversity of volunteers and organizations that we exist to serve. We especially encourage women, people who identify as LGBTQ, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the technology and nonprofit industries to apply.
Our team comes from a variety of companies: Airbnb, Bain & Company, Condé Nast, Facebook, Google, DataCamp, The New York Times, Quora, and various political campaigns, nonprofits, advocacy organizations, and governmental organizations.
About the role:
As a Senior Software Engineer on a small team, you’ll immediately have significant ownership over product direction and engineering architecture, working closely with our Director of Engineering on product strategy and execution.
- Work closely with product managers and designers to design and build great products that help campaigns, advocacy groups, and non-profits mobilize volunteers
- Develop high quality software and architecture that balances maintainability with execution speed
- Prepare our platform for the exponential scale that is unique to the electoral space — we must be able to handle going from hundreds to hundreds of thousands of users with little notice
- Build out our internal platform and APIs such that we can nimbly introduce more ways for our partners to to work with their data
- Drive high-quality engineering standards and architecture across the organization, and help up-level junior engineers to meet those standards
- Think up a growth experiment or five, and plan prototypes to test them in the lightest way possible
- Learn about the workflows and needs of our partners and find ways to help them achieve their goals
What you’ll need to succeed
- You care deeply about empowering ordinary people for progressive causes. We’re a mission-driven company, and everything we do is guided by impact. At the end of the day, we’re here to make a difference
- You likely have four+ years of professional work experience, ideally in startups where you’ve seen things scale (and break). Note: this is not a requirement, it’s intended to give a rough expectation
- You have strong technical skills, including the ability to reason through different approaches, write high quality code in a reasonable timeframe, explain tradeoffs, debug your and others’ code, and adjust to changing requirements
- You’re flexible and able to anticipate change
- You’re a team player. You’re not afraid to pick up whitespace work that’s needed for a project to succeed
- You take initiative to raise and solve problems to make the team stronger going forward
- You’re an eager and fast learner, undaunted by tackling a project in a totally new technology or part of the stack
We’re including this list only to be helpful and informative. We do not expect familiarity with any particular technology in the interview process or before starting the job. As long as you’re strong in programming fundamentals and excited to learn new technologies, you’re a good candidate! Our tech stack is:
- Python (Django) backend
- React frontend
- PostgreSQL database hosted on Amazon Aurora
- AWS for all sorts of goodies including hosting servers
- Algolia for search and discovery
- Celery for offline task management
- Github for version control
- Docker for package management
- 3rd party tools such as CircleCI, Twilio, Mandrill, Datadog, Cloudflare, and a bunch of others
Compensation range: $135,000 - $149,000
Comprehensive set of benefits for employees, includes:
- 5 weeks PTO
- Fully-funded healthcare
- Dental and vision benefits
- Parental leave policy
- Tuition reimbursement
- 401K with employer contribution
- Generous employee assistance program
This role is remote within the US until further notice with the option to start working in-person from an office in NYC, Boston, or DC currently. Any expectations and changes to the remote work policy will be communicated well in advance.