The ActionKit team at EveryAction needs you to help our clients win fights to make the world a better place.
ActionKit (actionkit.com) is used by over a hundred progressive groups and not-for-profits to help tens of millions of online supporters contact decision makers, donate money, and take action online and offline. Our clients--the ACLU, MoveOn.org and others--use our tools to protect immigrant rights, fight climate change and more.
ActionKit is built and maintained by a small, tight-knit team at EveryAction, the company that provides Democrats and non-profits a range of tools for digital campaigns, organizing, and fundraising. ActionKit has been around over a decade, and the team has always worked together remotely.
We need a DevOps engineer to help us keep scaling and evolving our infrastructure to serve more organizations and more users. If you'd like to use cloud technology to make the world a better place, read on.
Is this the job for you?
- We sweat the details. We've maintained our uptime and product quality across big changes to the code and infrastructure through tactics like careful risk management and testing, extensive monitoring, and learning from each problem to prevent repeats.
- We work together. The ActionKit team is not much for bureaucratic divisions. The boss codes; the project manager gives sales demos; almost everyone, including you, takes a shift of at least a few hours each week answering customers' support tickets.
- We keep our eyes on the big picture. We prefer giving folks higher-level goals and flexibility to work on them the way they see fit, rather than micro-managing. Vision will be as important a part of the job as execution, particularly as you get experience in the role.
If this sounds like where you want to be, please apply!
- A focus on building high-quality systems. That includes everything from attention to detail while coding and testing to big-picture judgments about risks and ways to simplify complex plans.
- Communication and collaboration skills. The job is never just code. It's critical to be able to talk through tradeoffs, ask for the information you need to get up to speed, and document your work so others can build on it.
- Empathy with others' needs. We're a small, tight-knit crew where everyone pitches in. Understanding what clients and end-users need is also core to our business. Everyone on the team works directly with clients.
- Experience spanning multiple aspects of development and operations, such as application development, system administration, database administration, or architecture.
- Prior experience with parts of our software stack (like Linux, MySQL, and Django) and AWS building blocks (like auto-scaling, load balancers, and VPC networking).
- Any experience with other parallel toolsets, e.g. Rails instead of Django, Postgres instead of MySQL, or Azure or GCP instead of AWS.
That said, we aren't judging candidates by a checklist and want anyone up to the job to apply. We come from a variety of backgrounds and would like future hires to as well.
Why choose us?
- Competitive salary: $150-170k depending on qualifications and experience.
- We are permanently remote (not just for the pandemic!). Hours and location are flexible as long as you get the work done.
- Five weeks paid time off per year. We encourage you to take vacation; we are not the sort of workplace that pressures anyone into 60-hour weeks.
- A great benefits package: health insurance, a generous 401(k) match,, child care FSA, paid parental leave, and much more.
- Work with an awesome team for awesome causes.
The ActionKit team and EveryAction believe a diverse, inclusive staff makes us stronger and a better partner for our clients. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are encouraged to apply. We’re committed to hiring people on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need, and EveryAction is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.